You’re surfing the internet one evening, and decide that your going to give surfing a try. You have seen it on TV, and one of your mates did it a few summers back and would not shut up about it. You type into Google “surfing lessons” and you are suddenly bombarded with dozens of surf schools, surfing holiday companies and surf guides.
Pretty hard to pick, especially without any personal introduction from a friend.
Well within the Unitied Kingdom all surf schools should be registered with the govening body the British Surfing Association. So what does this mean for you, booking your surfing lessons in Newquay?
Well as a British Surfing Association surf school with a valid approval rating you can book in confidence knowing that:
1) They have above and beyond the right insurance to run surfing lessons, surf courses and private lessons
2) They have up to date Risk Assements, and Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency action plans, which the BSA and public have access.
3) All coaches have to be a BSA qualified surf coach. There are four levels 1 being the most basic surf coach (able to deliver first time surf lessons) all the way to level 4 (coach the national team standard).
4) All coaches hold an up to date NARS Beach Lifeguard Award. The same qualification the R.N.L.I employ people with each year to work the busy waters of Cornwall and Devon.
5) As a BSA approved school, you will also be able to take part in the Jnr surf award scheme, thinking RYA or PADI levels in windsurfing and diving.
With an increasing number of un-regulated surf schools operating in the UK, it is important to be aware of these schemes. Errant’s flag ship surf school in Newquay is a British Surfing Association level 4 surf school, and an acredited NARS Beach Lifeguard training centre (to train lifeguards) our head coach is also a Trainer Assocer for the British Surfing Association helping the BSA train quality surf coachs. So next time your searching for “surfing lessons in Newquay” make sure you find out if the school is approved by the British Surfing Association.