Ross James of Ocean Core Fitness is back and will be showing you a new body weight exercise for improving not only your surfing but general mobility and injury prevention, every week, which you can pick and choose to make up your own surf fitness programme.
To kick things off we are starting with the Frog Squat.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and facing slightly outwards.
- Lower into a squat position with your chest up and chin up, maintaining a neutral spine, engage your core.
- Place your hands together flat and tuck your elbows in bewtween your knees with your feet flat on the floor throughout the entire movement.
- Gently lift your coccyx up and down in a swinging motion nice and slowly.
- Do this for 30 seconds and repeat 3-5 times.
Initially you may find a very small range of movement, this is natural if you have tight muscles. However do this daily and that will improve whilst also increasing strength, flexibility, improving posture and reducing risk of injury. This is great for building the strength in your core and hip flexors.
How does this help with surfing? Lets look at the pop up. Once you have caught the wave you use your arms to push up but you use your core and hip flexors to swing your legs through. So by building strength in these areas it will ensure you have a stronger and faster pop up.