As a surfer you have an obligation to ensure your offspring tastes salt water and gets roughed up by the white water at the earliest age possible. As a parent you also have an obligation to take the family on holiday and if you combine the two correctly you extend your surf tripping years for decades!
A goose chase through the jungles of Indonesia or a Maldives Boat Trip with a dozen other surfers probably aren’t ideal for the kids and the better half also has needs which probably don’t include shallow reefs and offshore winds, but we do have the solution. Ten solutions in fact for all budgets.
So combine sunshine, good food, great accommodation and activities for the youngsters and you’ve got the perfect family surf holiday, where you can get your fix of waves.
Here are our favourite family holidays:
- Costa Rica: Tropical, beautiful, amazing wildlife, large apartments, pool, private garden, close to surf. Paradise. P A R A D I S E.
- Maldives: The ultimate tropical Paradise, crystal clear perfect waves, amazing fishing, rare discounts for kids.
- Barbados: VIBES. Rasta vibes, fun times.
- Bali: INDO! Luxury apartments with Bali prices. Enough said.
- Portugal (flashy): For those with a healthy budget, Martinhal is as good as it gets in Portugal, situated near the best waves on the SW Coast, with enough comfort to satisfy the neediest missuses needs.
- Portugal (mid range): Comfortable apartments near two different facing coasts ensuring great waves. Loads of skateboards and bikes for the young ones as well.
- Portugal (cheap and cheerful): This place will fulfil everyones needs any time of the year without breaking the bank. Also guaranteed good weather down in the Algarve.
- Canary Islands, Fuerteventura: Nice apartments with a pool. Los Lobos (one of the longest right handers in Europe) not too far away. Job done.
- France: Very cheap, cheerful, plenty of room, pool, close to surf, etc. Great for Spring / Summer 2016.
- Spain: Cheap self catering bungalows with surf lessons a stones throw away, incredible mountainous scenery, great food. Perfect for Spring / Autumn 2016.